Sunday, February 05, 2006

fish and Phish

a post by Nyssa

What do fish and Phish have in common? Well if you told me only a couple of years ago that I would learn to love both, I would not have believed you. But it’s true, I discovered that fish isn’t the grossest food ever, and I have also discovered that Phish produces great music. I’m now a fan. I’m not too sure why I didn’t like them for such a long time, but what I am sure of is that I think their great now!

Recently, I have been listening to Phish’s Live at Madison Square Garden New Year's Eve 1995 (Rhino Entertainment Company, 2005). There is so much to discover and devourer on this three CD set. The songs are fun, some pointless yet some thought provoking and all are very pleasing to the ear. Phish is such an incredibly talented band. Though they are not together any more, the early to mid-nineties were blessed by their presence. Not only is it their music and song writing that wonderful, but also the shows that they have put together as a whole have been a creative masterpiece. This album is a good example of what a Phish concert is like. The stories that they tell are creative and entertaining, such as Gamehendge Time Laboratory, which is a place that they describe is where Colonel Forbin (a character in some of their songs) creates the recipe for time so that the world can have another year. Okay, so this might be ridiculous, but it is fun, and the crowd sure does love it. Some of my favourite songs on this album are Axilla, Pt. II, Weekapaug Groove, The Lizards, and Chalk Dust . All are enjoyable songs due to their excitement, energy, and Phish’s talent. I would suggest this album, and other Phish albums, to those who are looking for an exciting trip into fun, silly, and quality music.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Mikes Song from that show is awesome.

3:35 p.m., February 06, 2006  
Blogger blair said...

Not that I think you need to mention it but it is interesting that you didn't mention the Grateful or weed. Phish seemed to replace the in many ways. Have you gone back to listen to Garcia and the boys?

10:38 p.m., March 12, 2006  
Blogger nyssa ariel said...

yes actually. Chris (my boyfriend who got me into Phish) has made me listen to a bit of The Dead. I do enjoy them a lot. Im a fan of the Workingman's Dead album.
The only thing that is a pain about listening to their live music is that it is aweful recording quality. So you dont get the full sound. But their studio stuff is really good.

3:05 p.m., March 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>