Friday, January 27, 2006

Fast Food

A post by Melissa

Fast Food?!?

It's late...I've been busy...There's still work to do...I'm hungry...What should I eat?...Ohhh neon lights...Burger King is open late!...Mmmmm

This scenario happens more in my life (or perhaps week) than I would like to admit, although the ending might change...I mean to McDonald's, Wendy's, or the like. Recently having purchased a number one combo from BK I thought about this class and realized that...I think I've been brainwashed!!

In the spirit of honesty I'll admit that there are times when time is not the issue and I literally desire, or look forward to the 'fast food' meal. Ever since I was little there was something appealing about 'going out for dinner', something exciting about the bright colours on the windows, something so tempting about that greasy smell that you actually believed that 'it wouldn't hurt'. Now a little older, but not a lot wiser I still rationalize my decision. "I'm so busy, and it's so convenient." It's convenient, but then so is the produce aisle at the grocery store, and I am busy but am I really that busy. Perhaps it's one of those 'what came first the chicken or the egg?' questions. With my growing scepticism for our consumer culture I'm wondering whether people got so busy that we NEEDED fast food, or the market wanted to capitalize on cheap food and gullible people and TOLD us we were so busy we needed fast food...I can remember the hectic commercials...

Anyway, not only have I been coerced (always helps to blame others for your bad choices) into eating this food, but I've been poisoned and programmed to crave it...(you, rolling your eyes...never had a whopper craving?, oh you're a Spicy chicken person!)

Ever notice that your burger NEVER looks like it does in the ad, and seldom tastes like you think it will...hummm, and yet we (OK, I) return for another...it's kinda like seeing that sitcom on T.V. and thinking about how stupid it was only to find yourself laughing at the re-run a few months later. Upon reflection about my consumption of at least this aspect of pop-culture I realized just how many times I think in the process of my consumption..."I shouldn't do this, there's something better"...but quickly rationalize and refuse the thoughts, pushing them from my mind and partake...only to later think, like I did after that whopper..."I feel sick!"

"Who wants a frosty?!"

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh...capitalistic marketing at its best! I used to love fast food...the convenience, the taste, the price. And then I made a few trips to the dialysis ward at Sunnybrook hospital. It never hit me so hard that we must eat healthy and exercise...truly live healthy lifestyles in order to live in abundant health. It took me a while and a lot of will power to re-program my body and especially my mind to fight the cravings for fast food and pop and the like. Now I don't crave it and I feel like throwing up (sorry for the image) if I do eat it. I consider it to be a lifelong investment for my body...cause simply stated, I don't want to suffer like the rest of these hospital patients when it could have been prevented. Cause trust me, they all said, "if only I knew this would happen..." or "if I could go back, I would do this..."

Something to consider...and if still you're having a hard time fighting the cravings. I suggest you make weekly trips to any hospital and talk to the patients. I've never been so convicted about the subject.

1:24 a.m., January 30, 2006  
Blogger Melissa said...

Too true

2:39 p.m., January 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have a forsty, oh wait, maybe not,

Yeah I to grew up with the weekly joy of having an outting to one of the establishments mentioned above.

They get ya with the HAPPY MEAL and
and by the time your old enough to appreciate saving some money they get you with the meal deal.

My solution, is Harveys, real cooked meat, slow service, Canadian owned last i checked and man do they taste good,

Anyways watch supersize me, or get a gall stone these two things will be making you say, hmm Mcdonalds no i don;t think I want to day younger than i have too

Later,

1:02 a.m., February 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to put this out there not to offend anyone or point fingers at anyone but just to make it known. Ok here I go. Fast food is bad for your health and makes you get rolls on your body you never knew you had. It makes you feel tired and even cranky because of the high levels of sugar. It can cause hormone problems that cause massive mood swings and for you married people can negatively affect your sexuality. With all this said it is obvious that this food is not good for us to eat. Not only is it not good for us to eat but also in some respects it is ungodly. Yes I said it, ungodly even dare I say sinful in mass consumption. How can something that robs us of our energy, controls our emotions and alters our state of mind be good for a Christian to consume? Our bodies are to be living temples, holy and pleasing to God. The Temple of Israel as outlined by God was made of gold, silver and precious gems. This was presentable to God. We expect to offer our bodies as living temples, but yet we are too tired to get off the couch. Keeping fit and healthy is a vital part of a balanced life and more importantly part of a balanced Christian life. I think we all need to reevaluate how we treat our bodies and see if our 20lbs of extra fat is what God considers gold, silver and precious gems.

Luke Haggett

1:02 p.m., February 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I have to say is- I like my McDonalds, Taco Bell, and other various fast-food restaurants. But you know what? I don't eat it every day. Moderation people, moderation. But some late nights- i could definetly go for a 10 piece nugget meal. Not to point any fingers- but do you know how many people got to Pizza Pizza around here- nearly every night? a lot. I had Pizza Pizza just last night around 2ish- and that pizza was good. I also like my fruit and other various "healthy things". I could definetly eat more healthy- but i'm not too worried about it right now- just try to be balanced. As Dr. Wong would say- Live a Balanced Life. That includes your fast food intake- as for me- i'll still go on some late night trips for food- but I'll also eat a clementine.

10:04 p.m., February 05, 2006  
Blogger blair said...

Interesting that even though Super Size Me gets mentioned, no one mentioned Fast Food Nation. Luke brings up some good points but you could also consider the environmental degradation, the injustice of paying such a low price for meat and the labour conditions of people who work at McJobs as all theologically sound reasons not to consume fast food.

11:56 p.m., February 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently gave up fast food for a month, for a fast no less. It was one of the hardest expierences of my life. I think I lost like 10 pounds and went without meals for several days at a time. I work 3 or four days a week and fast food was one of my few options for quick and easy food while working. Man was it hard. But it was also a good expirence, I learned that it is not the only solution, and I grew to appreciate mom's home cooking a little more. And I also came to going to the grocery store to get supplies to make some lunches for myself. So all in all it prepared me for that next step in my life when I'll move out. I would suggest anyone try giving this up. Not too mention gluttony is a sin!

12:59 p.m., February 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>