Sunday, January 29, 2006

CSI and I

a post by James

I have to say that almost from the get-go I have been a huge fan of the TV show CSI. It is enthralling, at least to me. I have never been a huge fan of the spin-off shows, rather I stick to the good 'ol Las Vegas crew. This show actually inspired me to seriously consider forensics at one point in my life, and that dream has not been fully abandoned. This show has almost everything you could ask for, and then some.
One thing the show seems to grasp, is great characters. Gil Grissom is the introvert leader of the crew, he is rather cold and un-leader like, but you still seem to love the character. Others, like Nick and Warrick make you want to be as cool as they, and Greg adds a youthful charm to the show. Sarah and Catherine make you wonder about women in Las Vegas, both tend to be snarky and self-righteous. Yet as I said you love them all, you feel for them. The next thing the show got right was plot lines. I have heard it said that the show is boring because it all the same thing. But I beg to differ, each show finds a new way to show the dark and seedy parts of life. Yet in the end you seem to see the normality of the CSI crew juxtaposed to that of the underworld. Some shows even contain messages about social issues and what not. It is a deep show.
Some of the negative aspects of the show are, well showing the dark side of humanity. Also the blood and guts used to show various wounds and injuries. And the show is super unrealistic, these people solve crimes in days, that would normally take months. Yet on that last note it is for the sake of a one hour TV show, forgivable.
I have since invested in the first four seasons of the show on DVD and am hoping for season five for my birthday. It is a great show, and if you have no idea what I was talking about above, I recommend that you check it out, and get back to me.

4 Comments:

Blogger blair said...

James, I wonder why you don't like the other CSI shows. It is true in any drama worth its weight that we like the characters, flaws and all. In fact, we like the characters because they are flawed. Since you do not like the spin offs, does this mean that you do not identify with the characters as much? The plot line seems very similar across the franchise and so it can't be the plot that detracts from the spin offs.

My gut instinct tells me that you should probe into the human fascination with darkness a little bit more. What is it about evil and sin that makes it so attractive? I know that in Law and Order, another show that portrays the dark side of humanity, the ending is not always just or good or fair. (For more on Law and Order's sense of justice see "Law and Order: The Cop Show Prescription for Containing Evil" in Watching What We Watch by Davis et. al.). I'm assuming that CSI is similar so we can't even use the excuse as Christians that we are waiting for good to triumph over evil. Is our interest in evil on a sophisticated level any different than our fascination with the mafia (The Sopranos) or anti-social video games (Grand Theft Auto)?

On a side note, I wonder if CSI is a little like Sherlock Holmes in a different form and in that is not all that original but perhaps more universal.

7:10 p.m., January 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

James,

Do you think that the unreal concept of solving the crime in days (or even hours) might have a hidden agenda. The idea that crime doesn't pay is retold a dozen times in U.S. television however the fact is that sometimes it takes forever for the criminal to get caught and in some cases never gets caught or is released on a technicality. The point I'm trying to make is; if society grows up watching this show believing that crimes are solved this fast then it might act as a deterent against criminal activity. Sort of a "Don't do it because we'er going to get you and it won't take us long to do it." That might put off would-be criminal minds.
Immediate justice is story they're selling here. Not just for the audiences sake but to prevent people from going down the wrong path.
Some the entertainment networks are still influenced by powerful Christian organizations.

Jamie.

8:17 a.m., February 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say- i'm a fan of CSI aswell. I too will only watch the Las Vegas crew- the other ones don't seem as appealing. There have been a few sketchy CSIs lately though- there are times when i kind of cringe and the gore and even the plot lines- but all in all, i dig it. Over Christmas break, I was all about those kinds of shows- the CSIs, Law and Orders, etc. There is something about those kinds of shows- but at the same time- i want to watch a show that is a little light hearted too. That's it from me.

9:37 p.m., February 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I am impressed at the amount of people that have an opinion on CSI, whether ood or bad. In my defense, I think the show is great, still, depsite that hatred generated from Alex. I love how the characters are flawed and relatable, and how the show follows a structure, but can still manage to suprise me every epsiode, and how the show is a positive movement towards safer streets. I agree Jamie, that it is a good instrument to show the people the technology that they do have. I don't think that this is the primary objective, it is always the $$$$$$$$. But that said CSI Las Vegas seems to be more on the level than that of Miami. Miami has turned into a soap opera, with Horatio Caine being the ultimate cool CSI. New York is OK, but it doesn't grab in the way Las Vegas has. The Characters are just the flat. But again, it is a personal thing. And as for the show being boring, I will refer you to the Neilson Ratings, which have placed CSI in the top drama category, as in most watched, for close to 4 years now. It has been number one since sometime in season 2, so something about it must be grabbing peoples attention and holding it for an hour every thursday night.

3:58 p.m., February 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>