Sunday, February 05, 2006

Super Bowl

a post by Jason

The Super Bowl is a renowned event in North America. Every year around this time I begin to think of this event. Usually it involves joining with friends to partake in the festivities of the night. The super bowl is an all around great event. First off you have the football, which I think may be one of the greatest sports around. Then to top it all off you have the commercials! I love the commercials. I love them because they usually involve some of the newest and coolest products that money can buy. It’s almost as if the commercials are the bigger event for me and I love football.

The super bowl is the one sports event each year that I make sure I watch at least 30 mins of. I tend to drift from other sporting events, but not the super bowl. Obviously the need to know what’s going on for me is big because the super bowl is one game that’s it. I want to make sure that I don’t miss it and sometimes this can come at a cost, and I know that I am not alone. Some of the greatest sports history has been made at the super bowl. For myself, I think about the last couple of years and what great history has been made in the super bowl. For me this is why the super bowl is so great and why it makes me want to watch it amongst all other sporting events. The fear of missing the big play is not a risk worth taking.

1 Comments:

Blogger blair said...

Were you one of the fellows who went to watch it from the parking lot?

I wonder how you define 'greatest sports history'? I'm not sure that I really think that 'great' and 'sports history' go together in the same way that you might associate 'great' with other parts of history. For instance, MLK Jr. and the civil rights struggle in the US, specifically the I Have a Dream speach, is a great moment in history. The invention of the printing press is a great technological moment. The 95 theses of Luther were a great religious moment. Joe Namath guaranteeing a win? Sure, great moment in sports but not really great history.

All of this is to say that while I love sports, more hockey than football, I'm not sure that the place that we put them in our society is really the appropriate place in the grand scheme of things.

10:10 p.m., March 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>