Sunday, February 05, 2006

Crash

a post by Danielle

Crash.
Bang?
Boom?
The other night, I watched the movie Crash. It has quite the cast: Sandra Bullock, Brendan Fraser, Ludacris, Ryan Phillipe, Don Cheadle, et cetera. I had wanted to see this movie for some time due to the fact that I had heard a lot about it. I heard it was semi-depressing- but thought provoking. This summer, people had tried to get me go see it, but I wasn’t really in the “mood”. It’s funny how you almost have to prepare yourself for watching a sad/depressing/thought-provoking flick of sorts, but you really do. Well, finally I was ready.

The movie was based in LA; the whole idea of how people crash into one another. The idea is that- “Moving at the speed of life we are bound to run into each other.” In the movie you have a broad range of people; socially, racially, economically and so on. People in very different places in life; their lives become intertwined- more or less they crash- thus the name of the film.

There were parts when one’s heart just about breaks. Quick story- So there is this guy whose family owns a small convenience store; they hire this other guy to come fix the lock on the back door of the shop. The man changes the lock, but there is a problem with the door. The owner doesn’t quite understand, and well, the door is left unfixed. In the night the store is vandalized and basically destroyed. The owner blames the locksmith and decides in his anger and frustration to go track him down, gun in hand. The owner goes to the locksmith’s house and goes at the guy, long story short- there are some other details- the locksmith’s little jumps in her daddy’s arms just as the owner to the store shoots the gun. I jumped…almost cried… The was fine; the gun had blanks in it…oh my goodness though.

Another heart breaker moment was when the wealthy, well to do woman realizes in her pain, that she has no one in the world who truly cares for her, she hugs her maid- a woman who she treated basically like junk- and tells the maid that she is her best friend. Her realization/ her life, is just plain sad.

The movie, especially in these two moments, is dramatic. You have racial issues all throughout the movie, you have death, acts of abuse, violence, theft; acts of trespassing and being trespassed against. Normally movies have one act or two of this kind, whereas I this movie it’s filled with trespasses. I think I’m still thinking through this movie, it was a lot to take in. I’ll be showing it this week for the film club. I’m curious as to what I will think of this movie the second time through. All in all, it’s a movie I think is worth seeing and is a movie I think definitely worth discussion.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this movie a month or two ago and I had a few first impressions. First I thought it was very thaugh provoking, making us think how we here in North America run around so fast that we forget to have friends and be social. This is something that as a Christian is very present, as God calls us into to community, to share and be intimate with each other on a more than superficial level. Another impression I had is that sometimes I think Hollywood takes itself to seriously. I think the movie is great, but they almost try to hard sometimes to get a point across that it comes off as unrealistic and far fetched. I think in some ways this movie does that, but only border lining on it. But on the whole I would reccomend this to my mom, maybe not my grandma.

3:49 p.m., February 07, 2006  
Blogger Anastasia said...

Frankly speaking, I have no idea what this movie is about. Thus, I was very baffled when it won Best Movie at the Oscars.

However, after reading your mini review about it, I am very intrigued about it and am looking forward to it being shown here in Singapore. :)

12:16 a.m., March 07, 2006  
Blogger blair said...

This is definitely a movie I would like to see. Not only did it win best Oscar but it deals with a topic that I resonate with.

When I moved to the US in 2000 the single biggest shock for my wife and I was race relations. Of course there is in Canada, I'm not denying that, but it was the first time that I had encountered such a close connection between class and race. Living in Princeton we were surrounded by white people but served by Latinos. Princeton, where the governor lives, is white and Trenton, where the legislature is, is black. Princeton is rich while Trenton is poor. The stark contrast between races and classes was something that we noticed until we left in 2004. Would like to see another Canadian's take on it (the producer/writer was born and raised in Canada) in a different part of the US. Thanks for noting this movie.

10:24 p.m., March 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>