Sunday, February 05, 2006

Death Cab For Cutie

a post by Danielle

The Postal Service is a band that I’ve been in love with for some time now- seriously. Music, has always been a passion of sorts for me, although I’m very picky about the music I like, listen to, and associate myself with. The Postal Service’s cd is called Give Up. As far as I know, it’s the only Postal Service cd. I’ve waited for another to come out for some time now, although I know I would be partly scared to see if it would live up to Give Up, since it is so beautiful. Well, to many people’s knowledge, but not my own, Ben Gibbard the lead singer of The Postal Service is first and foremost the lead singer of a band called Death Cab for Cutie. Joel finally got me into them, it’s one of his favorites and he too is a huge music fan, with a lot of knowledge behind various genres of music, including the whole indie scene.

Death Cab has a new cd entitled Plans. I’ve listened to over and over again. There is a lot of beauty behind the music and the lyrics are complex yet delicate in parts. Sometimes I feel like I really need to listen to the words, to know what story Gibbard is saying but I get lost in the trance of the music, it pulls me in from track one. Joel informs me that I need to listen to some of their earlier stuff; his opinion is that Plans is good, but Transatlanticism is better. The thing about Death Cab, so I’m told from my source (Joel), they are doing new things, like in Plans, revolutionary…yet they aren’t trying to reinvent themselves with each new cd, but are continually producing solid music.

There is something about Gibbard’s voice especially that draws me in; both The Postal Service and Death Cab for Cutie bring me into that music high of sorts. These bands, I believe, are for dreamers. The music makes you feel; just sing along and dream; I dig it.

1 Comments:

Blogger blair said...

I wonder if we all feel the same thing when we listen to music like this? Given that we all have different experiences and bring different tastes to the listening event, is there any way that we can accurately guess what a particular song evokes in people? This isn't a critique, I just am struck by the fact that this kind of music seems to evoke some sort of strong reaction in people. What is it about the musice that the lyrics almost become moot?

As well, is it important that they are associated with so called 'independant' music? What does it mean to be independant when in reality almost all musicians must sign to some label. A few years back Ani Defranco made a big splash by not signing with a label. She came up with her own label. She may be 'independant' in some ways from the major labels but she does depend on others to get her music out there. Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that artists can be less dependant rather than independant?

4:34 p.m., March 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>