Sunday, February 05, 2006

Fraggle Rock

a post by Danielle

You know what I love- I love that you can buy old tv shows on DVD now. Thus, I am able to watch again, Fraggle Rock! I was such a huge fan of this show when I was little; being able to watch it now, is just plain fun. For Christmas I got the DVD that has the first episode ever, plus three other episodes. In the opening intro they sing:

Dance your cares away, worry’s for another day.
Let the Music play down at Fraggle Rock.
Work your cares away, dancing’s for another day.
Work your cares away down at Fraggle Rock.

Brings back memories….

Another thing I received this Christmas was a book entitled It’s Not Easy Being Green. It basically talks about the life of Jim Henson and then gives quotes from Henson, the Muppets, personal friends of Henson, et cetera. Jim Henson was a very insightful character himself, as well, his characters held a lot of wisdom behind their words and actions. It’s an interesting thing to think about; those things that we grew up with (Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Captain Kangaroo) in comparison with what children today are growing up with.

For me, watching Fraggle Rock is a fun thing, to reminisce on the things from my childhood, as well, I dream of one day sharing the Fraggles with my own kids. It is interesting to take note of the past vs. present state that children are in these days, not that I’m even that old, but things seem very different. So if you get a chance- check out the DVD, sing along with the theme song, laugh, giggle, and maybe even learn something from the Fraggles.

1 Comments:

Blogger blair said...

Are there shows that mix live individuals with puppets still? I know that Barney was big a number of years ago but he wasn't all that intellectually stimulating.

Does Veggie Tales take the place of the Muppet empire? Since CGI has progressed to the point of actually being watchable for full length movies, are real life puppets blase?

You may be interested in reading Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point and what he has to say about the creation of Sesame Street vs. the creation of Blues Clues. Very interesting stuff.

4:38 p.m., March 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>