Sunday, February 05, 2006

ebaumsworld.com

a post by Luke

This site is the home of everything that is “funny”, well at least that is what they would think. I used to love this site, I mean some of the videos I still find very funny, but I came to the realization that this site is not one I think Jesus would have gone to, if you know what I mean. We use that little saying so often and yet most of us still enjoy the sinful nature of such activities. I revisited this site recently after being away for some time. I recalled some of the video clips I found very funny, and I realized that most of the ones I found really funny were ones that would be considered very crude. Many have vulgar langue and subject matter that is unfit for anyone let alone a Christian trying to renew his mind everyday. Many of the videos found humor in either, gross things, ual things, faults of other people, extreme things (mainly done by people craving attention). There is one video with a guy letting his friends shoot firecrackers at his chest. I thought this video was funny, but I realized that this young man is most likely craving attention and laughter from people because he does not feel good about himself or really feel accepted. Another video that is no longer on the site, for good reason, showed a home video of a teenage boy who made a music video and song for a that he had a crush on in his high school. This was a real video he had made in the privacy of his room. Some people however got a hold of it and posted it on this website. I watched it and laughed my head off. I thought is was so funny to watch this guy who had a crush sing this really poorly done song and dance. My laughter soon turned to a sick feeling in my stomach when I found out that because of this video, the shame, and humility this young man felt drove him to commit suicide. I felt sick to my stomach because I had thought at one point this was the funniest thing I had ever seen. I was laughing only because someone else’s flaws were published on the Internet not mine. I found humor in someone else’s shortcoming. This site promotes videos that degrade people and find humor in their faults. Some of the videos however are very funny and there is nothing wrong with them, they are much like the videos found on the show Americas Funniest Home Videos. Although it is videos like the young man’s music video that make this site hard for me to go to anymore. Not to mention the and degrading of woman that is also prevalent on this site. I am ashamed at some of the videos I laughed at on this site, but at the time they were very attractive. Once you see sinful things with a new lens, one more focused on God, it is harder to find them as funny as they used to be.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thoughts Luke. I went to that site once and went through a bunch of their "funny" clips. I found that more of them were crude and vulgur than not so I didn't find myself wanting to go back there again. Sure randomness can be funny, but not in the way that you feel like it really added any kind of substance to your life.

1:34 a.m., February 06, 2006  
Blogger blair said...

I went and checked it out. I watched some sports clips, some funny vids but none of the extreme vids although I looked at what extreme vids were offerred. Wow, they were very sick. The number of gross injuries or s was mind boggling. I find it difficult to believe that this is legal.

Tonight while at Blockbuster I overheard a conversation among some young people (they were yelling so the whole store heard it). It seemed to centre on a that had occurred recently. The casket was going to be open and one fellow announced, "I can't do that s**t. It's too intense for me, I can't even do a closed casket. I can't go to the funeral." The next thing out of his mouth was, "Hey look at the this, they have [insert a violent movie title here where lots of people die]. I saw the first one and it was great we should get this one." I wonder if it is sites like ebaumsworld that allow us to seperate on screen and in real life. As a minister of the Gospel, I don't have the luxury of not liking funerals - I have to. Perhaps that's why I find ebaums so offensive.

10:04 p.m., March 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>