Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Cheap Concert Movement

a post by Vanessa

I’m an avid fan of concerts of all types especially when I have a certain specific connection to them in some way. My friend Reg plays in about six bands at the moment and he invited me to hear one of them play a couple weeks ago, and I was so excited but I had no idea what to expect (since I had never heard him play live before). He told me that it would be at the Opera House (which is a moderate size venue downtown) and that it would only cost ten dollars. As a student the fact that it would only cost ten dollars made me extremely happy, not only because of the price but because of what you could potentially get for that price. That night there was a lineup of about eight or more bands playing one right after the other, which is something I have not really experienced outside of the hole in the wall clubs that my friends and I stumble into by chance.

There is a whole new movement of the cheap underground concert that I absolutely love. Even though these types of concerts are not as flashy and technically appealing as going to a U2 concert, but when it comes to playing for the love of music there is no difference between Approaching Zero (my friend Reg’s band) and Coldplay. With every concert I’ve been to there has always been this sort of energy that comes from the performers and their passion for what they are doing. Passion can sometimes be tainted by the alcohol and the bands that use ridiculous gimmicks to get s to remove clothing among other things. That was the one part of the concert that I did not understand or appreciate, these guys are not famous and they can not offer their fans anything besides a good show and yet they have that allure that brainless s fall for time and time again.

With this movement of the cheap concerts I think that more people are able to appreciate great music, because all of the bands that I saw that night (SOLD, Menace To Sobriety and Approaching Zero) are in love with their music and are extremely talented. They are able to reach a wider audience, not only because it was an ages show, but because people are now realizing that you do not need to pay forty or fifty dollars to hear great music they have the chance to hear and support local talent.

1 Comments:

Blogger blair said...

Do you think the cheap concert movement is unique to this time and place or have there always been people who want to play music because they love it? What about a band like Pearl Jam which fought ticketmaster for years but finally had to succumb? Should we penalize them because they fought or buy their tickets?

10:11 p.m., March 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>