Friday, January 27, 2006

PSP

A post by James

My PSP and me

I recently acquired this new fangled device known as a PSP in the month of August. It is rather expensive and so I naturally assumed it would be cheaper in the States, so on my way through them in August I picked one up at a Wal-Mart. Of course out of fear or simple stupidity I hid this fact from my parents, knowing they would be less than pleased with the purchase.

As I began to play and look into all the cool gizmos and widgets that one can buy for this device I realized I had got myself into something that was beyond me. I now have told my parents and they didn't really care. But the money that a person can pour out on movies, games, music, memory, accessories, and general cool stuff is overwhelming. Someone of meagre income such as myself, really has no idea where to start. I have noticed that people of all ages from, pre-teens, right up to men in their forties can enjoy this. I must assume that the young children are using guilt money to buy them, and the older men just buy whatever they want.

Needless to say it is a cool thing, with the ability to access the Internet, play movies, show pictures, become an MP3 player, and of course offer a wide variety of video games. It is one of the ultimate forms of synergy, a company, SONY, has taken several devices and smashed them all into one, and with the ability to add to it and download updates as well. I am amazed really when I think about it. It is great marketing, and the best part is they convince you it is a deal. A PSP typically costs, $299, and comes with nothing. A typical game is, $50, memory to have a good amount of music, $100, a UMD movie, $30. I know this sounds like a MasterCard commercial, but when you add it up, someone who owns multiple games and movies has spent close to a thousand dollars on this thing.

I have tried to avoid most of these pitfalls, but with my compulsive nature, and need for cool stuff, I have succumbed to many of these costs. SONY while offering a great source of entertainment, and cool toy have capitalized on the handheld, wireless world here. Kudos to them.

-James Brooks

1 Comments:

Blogger blair said...

Do you know how many people actually have these things? I recently one a Nitendo Game Boy, went to a game store to see what games I could get and found that they all sucked. The screen was too small to do anything complex. I saw a movie clip recently on a PDA and thought that the quality of the picture was good but I couldn't imagine watching a whole movie on it. Aren't the sacrifices to make something small not really worth it?

10:16 p.m., March 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>