Sunday, January 22, 2006

Magazine 'M'

A post by Niesha

The other day I picked up a January/February 2006 magazine tiled “M” (music, movies & more). To my dismay there were no real articles. It was filled with pictures and bits of celebrity gossip. The “stuff” I looked at disturbed me, not because it was disgusting but because it all seemed be so pointless to the point I would defiantly call it “garbage”. Honestly, how can you take a quiz to see if you should date your best friend? The magazine even states that if the relationship does not work you’ll still be “BFF” (Best Friends Forever). Okay now honestly, how many people do you know who are best friends after they have ended a dating relationship? The magazine is filled with slang language and “msn” ways of spelling words. If I was to hand anything like that into the professor I’m sure my grade would reflect it. Not only is this magazine not educational it gets teenagers and preteens to set their hopes on false dreams such as winning a date with Chris Brown. Who is Chris Brown anyways? Horoscopes also flood the pages telling young readers how they will meet their next boyfriend. On that note I don’t think it is at all ’s to date around when you’re thirteen - that just equals more broken hearts. Teenagers need to be filled with real love and true hope that is found in Jesus. I believe teenage magazines should try to empower teenagers using truth. This magazine has affected me in the sense that I will not let my children (if I ever have any) purchase this type of product.

1 Comments:

Blogger blair said...

What do you think is the appeal for some people? You clearly find the material vacuous but is there anything that you find entertaining or interesting?

10:10 p.m., March 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>