Monday, February 05, 2007

the Superbowl - a post by Jeanette

Having gone to my second Super Bowl Party ever, I began to realize the big hype over something that is actually interesting to watch. Although I have never been much of a football fan, or sports fan for that matter, and have sat through only two whole games (both Super Bowl games), football is quite entertaining. I have seen youth (girls included) get so excited to watch the Super Bowl and never really understand what the big deal was. Now I begin to understand.

While watching the game, I began to understand a little more about how football is actually played. It’s not just about the player running around, bumping into each other and beating each other up, it’s about the game itself. It’s about getting that all important touch down. I actually learned a little about field goals, touchdowns and first or second downs (which I still don’t totally understand). My reason for going to the party was the food, but I came away with a little more knowledge on a game that I watch once a year.

So, next year this time, you may find me at another party. But this time I may understand the game.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jeanette,

Congratulations on finally beginning to pick up on one of America's sweetest sports. A couple questions though:

1)you mentioned that young females (youth) were excited about the game?. Do you have any idea as to why this is? It's been my experience that generally the major sports like football, hockey and basketball are predominantly male driven events.

2) What were your thoughts on "Princes'" performance at half time? I found at times it was rather provocative and alluded to many immoral things? Your thoughts...

All in all i enjoyed what you had to say about the super bowl. It is an event that appeals to many youth and young adults and your understanding and growing appeal for the game is a good thing!

-Mark Hauch

7:20 p.m., February 05, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey,

I agree with the fact that even young females get excited about the superbowl, but to better understand the hype of superbowl one has to watch it from an American's point of view. Companies pay out millions to land a commercial on the network just because they know the amount of people watching this commercial is the most exposure they could wish for.

Unfortunately, most channels in Canada that cover the Superbowl do not get these commercials so it is harder for us to see the hype.

6:56 a.m., February 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow congrats on finding female youth interested in the game!! Maybe its just where I live, but I havent met more than 2 females (and they were over the age of "youth") who were actually interested in watching it. We tried a youth event last year on the night of the Superbowl where we watched the game and did some other stuff during the halftime show. The girls there sat at the back and talked about...ugh...girl stuff? Hahaha I guess! All I know was the night was a huge let down...most ppl left because the girls were being too loud and no one really enjoyed the game. How did you get girls involved? Or were they already into football?
~Rebecca

1:58 p.m., February 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>