Sunday, February 04, 2007

The OC - a post by Jessica

Over the Christmas holidays and during the past few weeks, I’ve had some time to catch up on pretty much the year or two of t.v. show’s that I’ve missed out on from being too busy with going to school full-time and working crazy hours. One of which being…are you ready for this? The OC. Yep you caught me, I am now the newest member of the crazed OC fan club. But why? You might ask. I think the more important question is not so much why I like it, but why do we as general youth get so caught up in shows like this?

Well, for me (maybe this is a girl thing, I’m not to sure but…) I find teen drama shows like this are somewhat of an emotional outlet. There are times when you get caught up in the drama and the similar issues in your life that the characters are going through and on some level you can feel a connection. Whether it’s struggling with depression, parent’s divorce, an eating disorder, or abuse, the constant drama in this show, somewhere is some teen’s reality.

As much as there are times where I don’t agree with things that happen on the show or the way some of the issues dealt with or brushed off as not being important, I feel that a lot can be learned from it. As we minister to youth, we can use shows like this that are relevant to them as a common ground to get to the root of those issues that are prominent in so many of their lives.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Heejun said...

Your thought in this post is great! I think the OC is one of popular teen dramas. I am not sure this show still keep running now. I did watch this a few years ago. This show seemed to present special but somewhat typical relationships among American teenagers. They had lots of issues in their lives and relationships. I think that the relationship is the most important thing for teens. They are easily hurt by people in relationships. We can get some helpful ideas from this kind of show in order to reach out to our youth group in the church.

1:18 a.m., March 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>