Monday, February 19, 2007

War and Billy Talent - a post by Deb

War and Billy Talent

I’ve just recently bought the latest release from Billy Talent (gotta support Canadian music) and there is one song that struck me deep! There is a track entitled The Navy Song; it’s one of their softer melodic songs. It got me thinking as I listened to it, how so many bands are stating their political views in their music. Sometimes it’s good other times they fall flat on their face. But for Billy Talent who, in my opinion, are one of the most well written bands on the scene today, they got the point across. The song is about someone who went off to war, to fight, to be slaughtered and eventually left for dead. The message is that they so badly wanted to go, find the person that left and bring them home. This hit home, because just this past week I had a childhood friend leave for Afghanistan with the Canadian military. It’s funny how a song can stir up emotions that you never realized were there. We didn’t chat anymore, I haven’t seen him since last Christmas, but since I found out that he’s gone off to fight, I’ve had a weird feeling. Can I relate to Billy Talent? A little, which is why they’re good at what they do!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the song Deb...I just listened to it a couple days ago! It sure makes you think! I like how they have their "deeper" songs throughout their new cd. Granted, some songs are written just for fun, but their talent definately shows through! And yes for Canadian music!!! haha!
~Rebecca

2:04 p.m., February 28, 2007  
Blogger -jess- said...

I just bought the cd as you should know cause you were with me:) But I've been listening to it in the car and you're right the lyrics in that song make it more real than you would like it to be, but very challenging. Just how we were chatting about that friend being in Afghanistan, and partially laughing at it, mainly because it makes us uncomfortable and it's scary..we're not really sure how to react. Songs like this one, kinda bring us back to reality...

11:59 a.m., March 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>