Sunday, March 04, 2007

Gears of War - a post by Brennan

Over the Christmas break I spent a lot of my free time playing Gears of War with my brother. Unfortunately, he possesses the first person shooting skills in our family and I end up on the losing side of things any time I face off with him. He knows this and we generally play co-operative. This little tidbit of information is crucial to my experience with this game.

I am not one to enjoy gore, thus I did not think I would enjoy this game. It is rated M for mature for a good reason. In some instances one can chainsaw the enemy which involves a lot of blood being sprayed on the camera lens, and lets just say it is not cartoon in any manner. It can be downright gross, but like many other players I look past this, perhaps for a different reason than others though. I doubt I would never play this game in 1 player mode. I would rather play with my brother. For us, this is our way of hanging out and having a good time together.

Many see this game as grotesque and will add it to the ever growing list of video games that make our society worse. They will argue it continues the desensitization of the gaming generation. I do recognize that there are statistics to show this, but I would rather not argue this now. The way I see the game is a tool for hanging out
with my brother. It is our thing. So even though some might rag on how bad the game is, and how Christians should not play this game, it does not bother me. I will still play with it, well until my brother gets bored with it.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I to have played this game. I feel that it is a little to crazy; since you chain saw people. However it is game that you do have a good time if you play with another person. So I can understand that its the best time to hang out with your brother.

Geoffrey Millar

10:05 p.m., March 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>